Electronic Arts Inc.
Last Updated: April 27, 2021
Your privacy is important to EA and we take our responsibility of caring for it seriously. This policy describes how Electronic Arts Inc. ("EA"), as data controller, processes the personal information we collect about you when you use our mobile, online, and downloadable products and services or when you attend live events hosted by or in connection with EA (collectively, "Services"). In some cases, other subsidiaries and/or affiliates of EA may be considered data controllers, either together with EA or by themselves. When that is the case, we will inform you.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Information We Collect
- How We Collect Information
- How We Use Your Information
- Information We Share With Third Parties
- Where We Hold Your Information
- How We Protect Your Information
- Your Choices and Controls
- Third-Party Services
- Changes to Our Policy
- Contact Us
- Right to Contact a Data Protection Authority
1. Information We Collect
The information we collect depends on what Services you use and how you use them. Please see below for more details.
- Information You Give Us Directly
We collect information that you provide us, including but not limited to:
- Your EA Account information, including your email address, username, real name, country, date of birth, telephone number and password;
- Security questions and answers;
- Information you provide in response to surveys about our Services;
- Information you provide when seeking help from us, such as your name, telephone number, and records (including call recordings) of the issues you experience; and
- Billing information, such as your name, payment card number, payment account details, and shipping address.
- Information You Provide When Playing Online
When you participate in social features such as chat, any audio, visual, and/or electronic information that you disclose may be read, copied, collected, or used by other players, and may become publicly available. Please make sure your privacy settings reflect your preferences.
When you participate in online multiplayer games, your in-game profile information, gameplay, and statistics are visible. In some of our titles, when you play certain multiplayer modes, we record your gameplay and replay it to other players. In competitive game modes, such as FUT Champions, we may record your gameplay, and your controller button inputs, and replay these together with your in-game profile information and game statistics to other players in-game and at live EA or partner events.
- Other Information We Collect When You Use Our Services
We may collect other information automatically when you use our Services, including but not limited to:
- IP address;
- Information about your device, hardware, and software, such as your hardware identifiers, mobile device identifiers (like Apple Identifier for Advertising [IDFA], and/or Android Advertising ID [AAID]), platform type, settings and components, EA software and updates you have installed, and the presence of required plugins;
- Approximate geolocation data (derived from IP or device settings);
- Browser information, including your browser type and the language preference;
- Referring and exit pages, including pages viewed and other interactions with web content;
- Details about what EA games or Services you purchase or obtain, and your use of them;
- Device event information, including crash reports, request and referral URLs and system activity details (e.g., whether you encountered an error playing our games or lost Internet access); and
- Other information (such as your likeness) that you may provide as part of your participation in live events.
We also may collect and store information locally on your device, using mechanisms like cookies, browser web storage (including HTML 5), and application data caches.
- Information Provided to Us by Third Parties
We may receive information about you contained in third-party user accounts when you use EA online Services on or through third-party gaming platforms, including but not limited to those listed below. This information is provided to EA as part of establishing or linking an EA Account, which is necessary to access EA’s online services. Your use of EA online Services through these third-parties indicates your agreement for the transfer of this information. Examples of information we receive are provided below. Please note we never receive your credit card number or other financial information from these third-parties as part of establishing or linking an EA Account.
Social Gaming Platforms. When you use third-party social gaming platforms (e.g., Discord, Twitch) and link your EA account, we may receive information associated with your account on those platforms. Please review the notices presented to you when linking your accounts for details on the information EA receives.
- PlayStation®3 System, PlayStation®4 System, & PlayStation®5 Console. Sony provides your account for PlayStation™Network information such as your Online ID, email address, country, language, friend list, date of birth, and certain preferences.
- Xbox Live. Microsoft provides information such as your Gamertag, email address, country, language, friend list, date of birth, and certain preferences.
- Wii / Wii U / Nintendo Switch™. Nintendo provides (as applicable to the device you have) information such as your Mii character, nickname, Nintendo Network ID, Nintendo Account, email address, country, language, friend list, date of birth, and certain preferences.
- Google Stadia. Google provides information such as your Stadia Name, country, and other Stadia profile information and preferences. Additional details about information EA may receive are in the Stadia Privacy Notice.
Mobile Platforms. If you play or purchase our games on your mobile device and/or tablet, we receive information about you from the app stores and other mobile platform providers. This information may include your username and/or device ID and the fact that you made a purchase, as applicable, but does not include any financial information. Some of our mobile platforms may send information to us that you authorize them to provide. Our mobile games also may request additional personal information from you, such as push notification tokens, your device's specific location, or contact list, and we will collect this information only if you give us your consent.
Other Third Parties
We may receive information from other third parties, like Facebook or Apple Game Center, when you use these services with our games. We may also receive information about you when other players choose to share their contact lists with us or from publicly-available websites.
- Categories of Personal Information Processed
Depending on your use of our Services, the following categories of personal information may have been collected, shared, sold, or disclosed in the preceding 12 months (as these processing activities are defined under applicable privacy laws, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act “CCPA”):
- Identifiers; such as a real name, user name, account name, email, online identifiers, device identifiers, IP address, or mobile device identifiers;
- Purchase information; such as payment card number, payment account details, billing address , and other payment information;
- Characteristics of Protected Classifications under state or federal law; such as age or gender;
- Commercial Information; such as products or services interaction and purchase history;
- Internet or Electronic Network Activity information; such as ,browsing history, search history, and information regarding interactions with our games, websites, applications, and/or advertisements;
- Approximate (coarse) geolocation data; such as location data derived from IP address or device settings;
- Audio or Electronic information; such as when you play our games, play certain multiplayer modes, use chat features, or participate in competitive game modes or live events;
- Inferences; such as consumer preferences drawn from the above.
In certain situations we may collect additional information, for example:
- If you are the recipient of a contest or sweepstakes prize that requires tax reporting, we may collect identifiers associated with your government-issued documents (such as a social security number).
- If you participate in our competitive gaming events, we may collect identifiers associated with your government-issued documents (such as a passport number), financial information (such as bank accounts), and health-related information.
- If you participate in our user experience research, we may collect financial information (such as bank accounts), health-related information and video footage of your gameplay, as well as your recorded image throughout the session.
- Legal Basis for Processing
Our legal basis for processing your personal information varies depending on the country of your residence, as indicated when you are setting up your account.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area or of a jurisdiction where similar legal requirements may apply such as Brazil, Switzerland, and the United States, we rely on a number of legal bases to process information about you, depending on the type of information and the context in which we collect it. We will process information about you where we have your consent, where we have a legitimate interest to do so, where the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract with you, and/or where we have a legal obligation to process your information. For example, we typically rely on:
- consent when placing cookies on your device on the web (through our cookie consent manager) to send you email marketing, or to deliver third party targeted advertising to you on our Services;
- our legitimate interests to process your information when providing you with customer service support, to serve targeted marketing of our Services, for fraud prevention and security purposes; and
- on contractual necessity to process information when you create an EA Account to enable us to provide you with our Services.
To learn more about the legal basis on which we rely to process your information for any particular purpose, please contact us via the options in Section 11 below.
2. How We Collect Information
We and third parties use technologies described below to collect information to deliver our Services.
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
We may use tracking pixels or clear GIFs to collect information about your use of our Services and your response to our marketing emails. We use Internet log files (which contain technical data such as your IP address) to monitor traffic on our Services, troubleshoot technical problems, detect and prevent fraud, and enforce our User Agreement. We currently do not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. You may opt out of certain types of tracking on the web, including certain analytics and tailored advertising by changing the cookie settings in your browser or via our consent tools, as applicable.
We also use Analytics, Advertising, Anti-Cheat, and Anti-Fraud technologies in our Services. These technologies may utilize the same cookies or similar mechanisms as further described below.
- Analytics Technologies
We use internal and third-party analytics technologies to collect information about how you use our Services, your computer or device and the health of our Services.
For instance, we may collect and store data from your computer or device when you use our Services. This information includes technical and related information about your computer or device and operating and/or network systems (such as IP Address and device ID), information about your engagement with certain features, gameplay and usage statistics, system interactions and peripheral hardware for purposes described in Section 3 below. If you play a game offline without connecting to the Internet, this data will be stored on your device and transmitted to us when your device connects to the Internet. If you participate in online Services, we may also collect, use, store, transmit and publicly display your personal and/or statistical data regarding your game play (including scores, rankings and achievements), or identify content that is created and shared by you with other players.
Third-party analytics technologies integrated into our Services may (including SDK [Software Development Kit] and API [Application Program Interfaces] integrations) combine the information they collect in connection with your use of EA's Services with information they have independently collected over time and/or across different platforms. Many of these companies collect and use information pursuant to their own privacy policies. A list of third-party analytics companies that operate in our Services as well as how to opt out to the extent applicable can be found at privacyappendix.ea.com.
- Ad Serving Technologies
These technologies collect and use information so we can serve appropriate offers and advertising to you, to measure effectiveness and distribution of these offers and advertising, and to understand how users interact with our Services. In addition to identifiers and certain information listed in section 1(C) above, this information may include:
- Advertisements served and the location of the ad;
- Length of time an advertisement was visible;
- Domain type, IP address, size of the advertisement;
- Your interaction, if any, with the ad; and
- Advertisement response.
- Third-party advertising companies may combine the information collected in the context of delivering an offer to you via our Services with other information they have independently collected over time and/or across different websites. Many of these companies collect and use information pursuant to their own privacy policies. A list of ad serving companies that operate their own networks on our Services as well as how to opt out to the extent applicable can be found at privacyappendix.ea.com.
To learn more about some of these ad networks' practices, or to opt out of third-party targeted advertising, you can visit www.networkadvertising.org, www.aboutads.info/choices, youradchoices.ca, or www.youronlinechoices.eu. Note that opting out does not mean you won't see ads; rather, it means that the advertising you see may not be as relevant to you.
- Anti-Cheat and Fraud Prevention Technologies
3. How We Use Your Information
We use your personal information, both individually and combined together, in the following ways. To operate our business and to enhance and personalize your game experience, including to:
To provide you support, including to:
- Operate, improve, and develop our games and Services;
- Undertake research and analysis to develop and demonstrate our technology, and to better understand our players;
- Populate online leaderboards and enable online matchmaking;
- Provide replays to you and other players via spectator modes;
- Help you find your friends or tell your friends about an EA game or Service;
- Facilitate sharing on social networks;
- Manage and serve targeted and contextual advertising;
- Measure the effectiveness and distribution of advertising, including understanding who engages with our Services and how they interact with our Services;
- Measure the health of our Services;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- Set up and maintain accounts for which you register;
- Provide game experiences that you may like;
- Set up and facilitate loyalty programs;
- Facilitate your gameplay on multiple devices and/or platforms, as applicable;
- Identify, fix, and troubleshoot bugs or functionality errors;
- Provide software updates;
- Authenticate and activate your games and save game-play data, including progress;
- Facilitate competitions and contests;
- Perform audits, transactions, and other compliance activities;
- Adhere to your preferences and to deliver content;
- Help keep our Services safe and fair, resolve disputes, investigate and help curb fraud and illegal behavior, comply with the law, and to enforce our agreements and policies; and
- Other purposes you consent to, are notified of, or are otherwise disclosed to you when you provide personal information.
To personalize our communications with you, including to:
- Help identify and troubleshoot problems with your account or Services;
- Facilitate surveys or questionnaires;
- Communicate with you and respond to your specific requests or questions; and
- Manage and send you confirmations and important information about your account, Services, purchases, subscriptions, and warranties.
We retain the information we collect for as long as necessary to provide our Services, and we may retain that information beyond that period if necessary for legal, operational, or other legitimate reasons.
- Present offers and/or information relating to games and/or Services you might like;
- Make game or other Service recommendations to you; and
- Provide you with Service updates.
We may also de-identify, anonymize, or aggregate the information we collect, or collect it in a way that does not directly identify you. We may use and share such information as necessary for our business purposes and as permitted by applicable law.
4. Information We Share With Third Parties
Except as described below, we do not share, sell, or otherwise disclose personal information to third parties (as these processing activities are defined under applicable privacy laws, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act). Service providers. We employ third parties located in and outside of your country of residence [including outside of the European Economic Area (EEA)] to collect or process personal information on our behalf for the purposes described in Section 3 above, including but not limited to conducting market surveys, providing IT and related services, facilitating credit card processing, facilitating live events, sending emails, or delivering and optimizing our Services. We require that any third party use the data only on our behalf and for purposes consistent with this policy. Business partners. We may provide personal information to business partners with whom we jointly offer Services. These partners include the companies that provide the platform on which you play our games, such as Sony (PlayStation®4 system or PlayStation®5 console), Microsoft (Xbox), or others. Affiliates. We may share personal information with our affiliated companies as is necessary for the purposes outlined in this notice. Advertising partners. Through our Services, we may allow third-party advertising partners to utilize technologies and other tracking tools to collect information regarding your use of EA's Services and your device (e.g., your IP address, mobile identifiers, page(s) visited, location, browser information, time of day). We may also combine and share such information and other information (such as your de-identified account information, demographic information, hardware specifications, and past purchase history) with third-party advertising partners. These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other websites) for purposes of delivering targeted advertisements to you when you visit third-party websites within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as "interest-based advertising" or "online behavioral advertising." We may allow access to other data collected by the Services to share information that may be useful, relevant, valuable, or otherwise of interest to you.
If you prefer not to share your EA personal information with third-party advertising partners, you may follow the instructions on this page to change your settings.
Please also refer to Section 2(D) above for more detail on your choices regarding online advertising. Disclosures to protect us or others. We may access, preserve, and disclose any information we store associated with you to external parties if we, in good faith, believe doing so is required or appropriate to: comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; protect your, our or others' rights, property, or safety; enforce our policies or contracts; collect amounts owed to us; or assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity. In particular, if we receive a report that you have violated our policies (like our Positive Play Charter), we may disclose that report and other relevant information to the platform on which you play our games, such as Sony (PlayStation®4 system or PlayStation®5 console), Microsoft (Xbox), and others.Disclosure in the event of merger, sale, or other asset transfer. In the event of a reorganization, divestiture, merger, sale, or bankruptcy, we may transfer all information we collect to the relevant third party and will obtain your consent to do so if required by law or contract. Third-party plugins. When third-party technologies or social tools are integrated into our Services, those third parties may collect information about your use of our Services. An example is the Facebook "Like" button. Cross-Platform Sharing. Some of our games allow you to connect and play with friends and members of a game's community, regardless of what platform they play on. For example, someone on an Xbox could join a match with a player who is using a PlayStation®4 system or PlayStation®5 console. We call this ability to match players across platforms "Cross-Play." When Cross-Play is enabled and you play with someone on another platform, that other platform may receive your platform's ID (such as Xbox Gamertag, or Online ID of your account for PlayStation™Network) along with other information necessary to enable Cross-Play. In addition, we may provide information regarding your use of Cross-Play features to the platform on which you play our games. You can change your Cross-Play preferences by visiting the game's settings menu.
Some of our games may also allow you to continue progress on a game between platforms, as well as enable the ability for your purchases on one platform to be available on another platform. We will share your information with platforms to the extent necessary to enable these features.
Other platforms receiving your information may include Sony (PlayStation®4 system or PlayStation®5 console), Microsoft (Xbox), Nintendo (Nintendo Switch), Google (Stadia), Valve (Steam), Epic, and additional platforms as they become available for these features. Your information received by these platforms may be subject to their respective privacy notices. With Your Consent. We may share information with other third parties with your express consent, unless otherwise described above. For example, you may agree to us sharing your information with a certain company or organization to hear about their products, services, or promotions, or if you tell us that you want to link your EA Account with another company’s services. Use of the information you agree to share will be subject to those third parties' respective privacy notices.
5. Where We Hold Your Information
EA's privacy practices comply with the APEC Cross Border Privacy Rules System. The APEC CBPR system provides a framework for organizations to ensure protection of personal information transferred among participating APEC economies. More information about the APEC framework is available on this page.
Electronic Arts Inc. holds certifications under the (former) EU-US and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield which are available at www.privacyshield.gov. When Electronic Arts Inc. transfers information from the European Economic Area (EEA), United Kingdom, and Switzerland to other affiliates, agents, or service providers that are outside the EEA, United Kingdom, and Switzerland, it will do so in compliance with the 'Accountability for Onward Transfer' principle of the Privacy Shield. Where appropriate, EA, will rely on EU Standard Contractual clauses and other safeguards to enable transfers outside of the EEA, United Kingdom or Switzerland. In line with the July 16, 2020 decision of the Court of Justice of the European Union in relation to the EU-US Privacy Shield and guidance from the European Data Protection Board, EA continues to assess the legal regime of the countries to which data is being transferred and, as necessary, updates measures to ensure that we provide adequate levels of protection. To learn more visit this page.
6. How We Protect Your Information
Security of your information is a priority at EA and we take a range of technical and organizational measures to help protect it, including encryption of sensitive information. Even so, please be aware that no security measure is 100% perfect. Thus we cannot guarantee the security of your information at all times. You should always be diligent when it comes to the protection of your personal information.
Although the majority of EA online and mobile games and Services are intended for adults, EA recognizes the importance of protecting children's privacy online. As applicable, we strive to follow the different minimum age guidelines set by the laws of individual countries or territories when determining the age that children can access certain features of our Services. When players identify themselves as being children we will: (1) obtain consent from parents for the use of their children's personal information, when required by applicable law. For example, we allow parents to create a child EA Account on certain Services, and with parental consent EA will collect and use certain children’s personal information to manage a child EA Account;
(2) disable features in certain Services that could allow a child to share information that directly identifies them, unless a parent has provided relevant consent to us or the third-party platform on which their child is playing. For example, we will respect third-party (console) parental controls as they apply to game features that could allow a child to provide personal information (e.g., via free-form chat, audio communications, user generated content) in online or multiplayer games;
(3) collect and use certain information for limited purposes only. For example, we may send local in-app notifications, which do not rely on collecting personal information. Also, persistent identifiers (e.g., IP address or mobile advertising device identifier) may be collected to support our internal operations, such as:
(4) not condition a child's participation in an activity (e.g., gaming contests) on the disclosure of more personal information than is reasonably necessary to participate in the activity. With certain Service-related activities, we may not permit children to participate at all, even if we have consent. Parental controls and choices: If you are a parent or guardian and wish to revoke your previously provided consent, review information collected from your child or have that information deleted, please contact via the options in Section 11 below. If we become aware that a child has provided us with personal information without parental consent, we will delete any personal information we have collected, unless we have a legal obligation to keep it, and terminate the child's account and/or revert them to the underage experience, as applicable.
- Delivering the Services;
- Maintaining or analyzing the functionality of the Service;
- Serving contextual ads or frequency capping;
- Protecting the security or integrity of the user of Service; or
- Legal or regulatory compliance.
If we make material changes to how we collect, use, share or otherwise process your child's personal information, we will notify parents as required by applicable law.
We encourage you to talk with your children about communicating with strangers and the risks of disclosing personal information online. You and your child should review the privacy settings applicable to their use of our Services, a summary of which is available here, as well as our Online Safety web page, for additional information about using the Internet safely.
8. Your Choices and Controls
We give you meaningful choices when it comes to our collection and use of your information. For example, if you no longer wish to receive marketing emails from EA, you may click the unsubscribe link included in the footer of any marketing email we send.
To exercise any of the rights listed below, please visit our Privacy Portal. To protect your account security and personal information, you may be asked to verify your account ownership before exercising these rights. Once you have verified your account ownership, you may also be required to provide your confirmation authorizing an agent to exercise these rights on your behalf. If you have additional questions or concerns about exercising your privacy rights, you may contact us through help.ea.com. Your right to deletion. You may deactivate your EA Account or delete the personal information associated with your account by contacting us through this link. If you do so, you will no longer have access to the EA games or Services associated with your account. Note that EA may retain information needed to resolve disputes, enforce our user agreements, protect our legal rights, and comply with technical and legal requirements and constraints related to the security, integrity and operation of our Services. Otherwise, we will retain your personal information for as long as reasonably necessary to provide you with, create, and improve our Services, and to comply with the law. Your right to access. You can access the personal information we hold about you. You can download a copy of your EA Account information by visiting your EA Account and clicking the "Your EA Data" tab, or by visiting this page. To request access to additional data, please contact us through this link. Your right to correction. You can request correction of your personal information where it is inaccurate. In some cases, we may provide self-service tools, such as those on the EA Account customer portal at this page, that enable you to update some of your personal information. Your right to opt out or object to certain processing. You may have the right to opt out of the disclosing, sharing, or selling your personal information to third parties, if applicable, or object to some processing of your data, where such requests are permitted by law.
For more information, visit this page.
You also may adjust your browser settings to block certain online tracking technologies, such as cookies, as further described in Section 2(A).
You have a right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of the privacy rights described in this section.
9. Third-Party Services
10. Changes to Our Policy
11. Contact Us
If you have a complaint or question about this policy, please use our Privacy Portal to contact our Data Protection Officer.
To contact EA, including our Data Protection Officer, you can also use the following address: Electronic Arts Inc., 209 Redwood Shores Parkway, Redwood City, CA 94065. Electronic Arts Inc.'s representative in the European Union is Electronic Arts Ireland Limited, Parkmore West Business Park, 1, Ballybrit, Galway, H91 Y2R5, Ireland. Electronic Arts Inc.'s representative in the United Kingdom is Electronic Arts Limited, Onslow House, Onslow Street, Guildford, GU1 4TN, United Kingdom.
12. Right to Contact a Data Protection Authority
If you have a concern about how we collect and use information, please contact us. You also have the right to contact your local Data Protection Authority if you prefer. Contact details for Data Protection Authorities in the EEA are available here.
To contact the Swiss authorities please visit this website. To contact the UK authority please visit this website. Where appropriate, your local data protection authority may also forward the matter to the Department of Commerce or FTC for consideration.
Under the Privacy Shield Framework, EA Inc. is subject to investigation and enforcement by the Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) and commits to cooperate with EU data protection authorities (DPAs) and the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner with regards to unresolved privacy complaints concerning consumer data transferred from the European Economic Area member countries, United Kingdom, and Switzerland.
If you have an unresolved Privacy Shield or APEC data concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) here.